Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ensaimada (Rolls)

First time i learned how to make ensaimada when i was in the Philippines. When i was a kid my mom used to make those and i sell them out in our place. It was like 1peso each about that big. When i got here i was craving for it. I started to make those when i was pregnant. I baked them once a week for like 10 rolls and eat them everyday as my breakfast or snack. I was really energetic when it comes on baking rolls. I don't get tired of doing it everyweek. I have a really good taste to it. It seems like my day is not over if i can't eat it. I don't care what my hubby says about it but for me it was really good, even sometimes it was burnt. I was thinking to baked it for now but seems like my laziness pop out when i started to prepare ingredients. duh!!!

Ensaimadas are warm, yeast-based cakes fashioned into round, coiled shapes. This recipe is time consuming to prepare because you need to wait until the dough rises. However, ensaimada is a delightful rolls when you follow the exact procedure on making. This is good in breakfast with hot coffee.
Here's how to make Ensaimada.

3 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
4 eggyolks, beaten

2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eggyolks, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
melted butter

Procedure:
Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water (about 12 minutes).

Add the next 2 ingredients and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon (about 5 minutes).
Set aside to rise until spongy (about 35 minutes).
To the sponge, add the next 4 ingredients.
Beat thoroughly (about 8 minutes), and let rise until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).
Add to the risen dough all remaining ingredients (except the last).
Blend well and transfer to a floured board.
Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
Cover and leave doug on the board to rise (about 30 minutes).
Divide doug into small portions.
Roll out each portion into a thin sheet.
Brush surface with melted butter.
Roll like jelly roll and form into a bun.
Arrange buns on a slightly greased baking sheet, or place in torta tins, and let rise until light (about 15-20 minutes).
Brush tops with slightly beaten egg and bake at 400 degrees F.
until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Makes 2 dozen small ensaimadas

1 comments:

theworkingmom said...

Wow! Looks and sound delicious!